Welcome to the ALL NEW "Monkey Baby ...going green" (Formerly known as the Monkey Baby Boutique blog). This site has been dormant for quite awhile as my life took a turn in a different direction. My children are growing up and I've been focusing on designing knitwear.
Recently I've done some thinking about continuing on with this site, and it has led me to a total makeover! I will continue to post tips on going green and creating a healthier you, healthier home and a healthier planet! But I will also be including information on sustainable knitwear created by myself and others. Please leave your comments and let me know what you think of the NEW look!


Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World

Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World


Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World



Can your pocketbook save our planet? The author of Big Green Purse says it can!

Out of every dollar spent in the marketplace, women are shelling out 85 cents. That's a huge percentage from us girls -- and author Diane MacEachern says it could be put to enormous good. In her book Big Green Purse and in interviews around the country, the longtime conservationist is urging women to use their pecuniary powers for positive change. But how does smart shopping fit in with a buy-less message, and could saving the planet really be this easy?

Author Diane MacEachern has something she calls her big, green purse that, she says, carries the power to influence the marketplace to "create a cleaner, greener world."

Visit her website, Big Green Purse, and sign up for her One in a Million campaign, a pledge to shift at least $1,000 of the yearly household budget to more sustainable goods. That's a shift, she explains, not an additional expenditure: When choosing fruit, choose organic apples; when buying a bottle of lotion, look for one without phthalates or parabens; if you must buy a car, find one that fits your needs but is also fuel efficient. Still, her first piece of advice recommends us to always buy less.


2 comments:

Diane MacEachern said...

Thanks SO MUCH for helping to pass along the Big Green Purse message! Any chance you'll be at BlogHer? It would be great to meet in person. Monkey Baby is great!

Bay Area Knitter said...

Wow! I'm so flattered that you like my blog! I'm just glad I could "pass along" your Big Green Purse message! I get so excited when I find other people that are as passionate about "going green" and saving the environment as I am! I don't know if I'll make it to BlogHer, I actually just learned about it recently... But yes, it would be wonderful to meet you in person! Maybe someday... =)

Create a Gift Registry at The Land of Nod